Why is there Growing Demand for Massage Therapists?
April 29, 2015
Natural, Preventative Care and Aging Population Behind Industry Growth
By all indications, massage isn’t just a healing practice; it’s big business! According to IBISWorld, a leading resource for business intelligence, massage therapy was an $11.7 billion industry in the United States in 2014. Demand is expected to increase for the foreseeable future, which will lead to an increase in the number of massage therapists.
Demand for Massage Therapists
These 5 factors contribute to the growing demand for
- Aging population – Baby boomers, the largest demographic in country, are turning to massage to help them live a more active lifestyle. In addition, older people are also finding benefits from massage, making geriatric massage an important massage modality for therapists.
- Bigger business – The number of massage clinic franchises has increased in recent years. This growth offers people a more cost-effective and convenient option for massage services.
- Focus on natural care – Many people are turning away from pharmaceuticals. As an alternative, they are looking to massage therapy for a more holistic way of treating pain.
- Increasing respect and acceptance – A number of states have adopted licensing requirements and standards for therapists. As a result, the practice of massage is becoming more respected and accepted by more people as a way to treat pain and to improve overall wellness.
- Integrated care – Health care providers are combining conventional and alternative treatments for overall wellbeing. That means they are recommending massage as part of integrated care.
Are you interested in a massage therapy career?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the number of massage therapy jobs will increase 23% by 2022. Working as a massage therapist can be a rewarding and exciting career. First Institute offers hands-on massage training programs to help you on the path to a career you’ll love. For more information, contact us today at 815-459-3500.
More on Massage Therapy: